Sunday, May 11, 2014

A Lazy Mother's Day Hike

Just to make things clear, I'm not saying Mommy was lazy. I'm saying the hike was on Mother's Day. Mommy was far from lazy as you will see.

We decided to do the south half of the river trail today. They were predicting big storms this afternoon so we got an early start. Even though we got there well before noon the lot was quite full as were the picnic areas in the preserve that connects to the trail. Lots of people were picnicking for Mother's Day. I wanted to do the tiny preserve loop, but Mommy knew I would quit after that because I always do so she said no, we were going strait to the trail.


There was a lot of large flowered trillium in bloom along with what we think were false rue anemone. Whatever they were they were pretty with the trillium.

I walked for about 1.2 miles and then when we came to a pump we stopped for water and Mommy called Grandma to wish her a happy Mother's Day. Then I got in my stroller and rode.




Mommy knew when she saw how comfy I was in the stroller she was in for a lot of pushing.

Mommy pushed the stroller all the way to the end of the trail and I rode the whole way.


 We stopped to watch some cormorants fishing and sunning at the lake in the big gated community

Mommy kept suggesting I get out and walk but I kept telling her I was too comfy and she could keep pushing. I rode all the way to the end of the trail and when Mommy turned around she thought I'd get out and walk, but I didn't want to so she pushed me back up the trail.  Finally, after I had ridden for almost seven miles I decided I wanted to get out and walk (and sniff) again.

I found this pretty feather

Once I was walking I didn't want to ride again. Mommy kept suggesting I get in the stroller, but I refused. When we came to a pond I hopped in for a swim.  After I got out I considered riding in the stroller then changed my mind.



The back end wants to ride but the front end doesn't

I walked about two miles back to the car and fell asleep almost as soon as I got in.  On the way home the sky started to get dark and then we saw lighting, but we got home and Mommy got everything in the house before the skies opened up.


(If the video won't load you can watch it on YouTube.)

Total miles hiked by me: 2.9 Total miles riding in the stroller: 6.7 Total miles hiked 9.6.

1 comment:

Backcountry Brodie said...

Merlin, it do be a furry good thing your mom gotted you back to your house before you got drownded in that storm! I mean getting our furs wet in a pond - pawsome, getting our furs wet in a storm - NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!