Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Happy Adoption Day to Me!

Yup. Today is my adoption day. You'd think Mommy would do something special for me, like take the day off work and take me hiking, or give me an extra special breakfast, something. Well, not for me. I woke up this morning at 6 a.m. and promptly threw up. So, Mommy got out of bed and mixed up some Carafate for me and then we went back to bed and cuddled for 1/2 hour while the Carafate dissolved. After the 1/2 hour Mommy squirted the Carafate down my throat and I spit about 1/2 of it back on her and the bed. An hour later I got to have Pepcid and breakfast and walk to see the guys at the feed store, who at least gave me a treat, and then Mommy took me to the VET!!! That's right, my adoption day and I go to the VET for my annual checkup and shots as well as some extra special tests because my chiropractor was concerned that I might have Degenerative Myelopathy.

See, at Christmas I kept falling down. My back end would just go out from under me without warning. I was also moany groany and Mommy kept catching me staring at my feet like there were spiders crawling on them. She figured I had a pinched nerve in my back and took me to the Chiropractor. The chiropractor didn't find much wrong with my back so she did a test where she made me stand with my toes turned under. I guess I was supposed to put my foot flat right away, but I didn't. The chiropractor does weird things to my feet and legs all the time and I let her because I know it will make me feel better, so when she turned my toes under I just stood there waiting for the next part of the treatment. I guess that is considered a big failure and something to worry about. Anyway, even though I failed the physical tests really bad at the chiropractor's I passed with flying colors at the vet so I didn't have to have a nasty biopsy type test as well this morning.

So I have a fever today because of my shots and no special treats because of my throwing up this morning. Mommy says if I don't throw up tomorrow she will make it a better day for me and we will celebrate then. So Happy Adoption Day to Me! I've been with Mommy for 10 years which Mommy says is a miracle if you consider what my first day/weeks/months/years were like with Mommy and all the injuries I gave her, the gallons of pee and poop she had to clean up in my room, and the door frames, hand rails, clothes, books, stuffed animals, cooking utensils etc. that I destroyed.

2 comments:

Backcountry Brodie said...

Happy Gotcha Day Merlin! I is sorry it woz such a stinky day fur you. I hope efurrything be better tomorrow and that you has a nice celebrashun then. Holy smokes, 10 years? I did not think you woz as old as me. My 10th Gotcha day be in July this year. We is lucky that our moms putted up with us this long, BOL. I gess we can say we has furever home sekurity by now.

ForPetsSake said...

Poor kiddo! But mommy loves you and that makes all the gallons of pee (lol) worthwhile. Did I just type that...?
Love you, Merlin!