Tuesday, June 4, 2013

My Monthly Diary for May, 2013

Well, May was a bit of a tough month for me.  The weather was very stormy and cold and then hot and then cold again which is hard on my back and hips and hocks.  Mommy did a lot of gardening and I did a lot of supervising.  I no longer like to lie on the hard ground so I insist that Mommy bring my sleeping bag or bed out for me if she is going to work in the yard.  Then, if she moves to a section out of my sight I lie in bed and do my "pitiful me" demand bark which sounds like "Arf!" 10 second wait "Arf!" 10 second wait "Arf!" repeat.  Until Mommy comes to move my bed closer to where she is working.  It is a good system.

We had an exciting day in the middle of the month when one of the Crazy Cat Lady's feral cats had a litter of kittens in our front garden.  I tried to get Mommy to look in the spot for two days but she didn't pay attention to me.  Then when she went to trim the bushes the mama cat came out and went after her!  Mommy called the feral cat spayers and a woman came out to try to catch the mama and the kittens, but mama cat was too smart for them and she stole her kittens back without getting trapped.  She took the kittens to the Crazy Cat Lady's house and the Crazy Cat Lady hid them so Mommy and the cat spayer couldn't get them.  Poor kitties.  There were five kitties in the nest, but one of them was dead, so we don't know if the other four will survive or not.

Mommy and I took a long one mile hike which I posted about already.  I went to the vet and Mommy told her that she didn't think that I was getting as much benefit from the laser treatments as I used to. The vet agreed that things weren't looking too good, but there isn't much she can do for me. She has upped the laser as high as she can.

Then at the end of the month Mommy and I went up to Wisconsin.  Mommy's youngest brother and brother-out-law (soon to be brother-IN-LAW! Yeah Minnesota!) were up there and the three of them worked around the outside of the house.  I wanted to go yell at the neighbors' dog so I snuck into the woods while Mommy wasn't watching and was working my way there when Mommy noticed I was gone.  Mommy came into the woods after me and told me to come RIGHT NOW.  I didn't want to so I tried running down the hill to avoid her.  Well, my back end didn't obey and the next thing I knew I was sliding down the hill backwards and then I was on my back in the water.  Mommy came leaping down the hill to rescue me and in her haste to pull her shoes and socks off she threw one of her socks in the water. Then she jumped in and helped me up and we had to wade back to where the shore was lower so she could help me get out.  It was kind of embarrassing.  Grandma and Grandpa came after all the outside work was done.

The next day Mommy's oldest brother and his new wife and his daughter and her new husband (these were the weddings Mommy and I went to) came over and helped wash windows.  Then some of them took a boat ride and I went along.  Grandpa's new boat isn't as comfortable as the old one because I'm not allowed on the seats, but I can see out well if I stand.  Mommy says maybe she'll figure out a way to make a raised platform for me to lie on for rides.

Me on the boat

After the boat ride I hung back on the shore to eat grass while all the humans went up to the house and wouldn't you know it, the next thing I knew I was sliding backwards down the hill into the lake AGAIN!!  This time I landed sitting down and not upside down, which was a good thing because Mommy didn't notice I hadn't followed everyone up right away.  She came down and helped me out of the lake (after I threw up the grass and then peed in the lake first).  This back end is getting annoying. Everyone left the next day, but Mommy and I stayed on another day.  This was a good thing because Grandpa wanted help fixing a door and I wanted to take my hike on the trail in town.  There were a lot of dogs on the trail that day too, so that was fun.

After our hike Mommy and I hung out down at the dock and we saw all these little fish in the water around the dock, but I was too tired to try to catch them.

Mommy forgot something when we went down to the dock so she went up the hill and spotted this little guy!

He was probably 1 day old at most

He was walking around bleating.  Mommy thinks that he probably spotted me and didn't know that not all long legged long neck quadrupeds were his mom and he got worried that she had forgotten to pick him up.  You can hear him bleating in this video:

Baby deer have no smell so I didn't know he was in the woods when we went down past him, and after he realized his mom wasn't coming for him right away he went back to his leafy spot in the woods where all you could see of him were is little ears.  The people talking in the video are Grandma and Grandpa if you wondered what they sounded like.  Don't worry, his mom came and got him at sunset.


ems said...

That big bunny baby kind of sounds like a weird little duck! Very cute.

KB Bear said...

I'm so sorry about your hind end, Merlin. We've tried acupuncture for our older dogs with hind end problems in the past, and it's helped some.

But, it didn't stop you from having an exciting month! The baby deer is adorable. I'm so glad that its mom came to get it.

You asked about how to find bear trees. All that I can say is that it is very hard! I look for mangled small pine trees. Often, the top is broken off and numerous other branches are broken. There will be fur in the sap where the branches are broken.

As far as I can tell, bears like very isolated and very old paths for their trees. I first found the trees by tracking a bear after a fall snow. His tracks told me which trees he was marking (bears go into marking frenzies during mating season and just before hibernation).

I hope that you have a good month!